What Hosts Need to Know
RVnGO's insurance coverage covers the Guest and the Host up to $1 million for Liability and up to $200,000 in Property Damage for exterior damage to the rented RV (which includes interior damage only where it is the result of an accident where insurable exterior damage occurs). The RVnGO coverage only applies to the rental period. The coverage starts the moment the reservation starts and ends at the end of the rental period at Check-out. So you will still need regular insurance to insure your RV when it is not being rented. That you have regular insurance that at least meets the minimum statutory requirements in the state the RV is located is the only qualifying requirement we have to extend rental coverage to you and your RV. You have no financial obligation to pay premiums, the Guest will be charged a nightly premium that will be added to the reservation transaction. The nightly premium is very affordable and based on the type of RV, with motor homes being more expensive than trailers. Our rental coverage covers travel throughout the United States and Canada. One limitation does apply: at this time we cannot provide coverage for RVs located in the State of New York (although if you rent outside New York State and drive into New York State you are covered).
We are working on a solution but as of now, we're sorry our program can't cover you – that being said, if you are a host with an RV located in New York State, please contact us and we can arrange alternative coverage for you and processing on our platform. For more information, contact us directly at Insurance@RVnGO.com
Premiums and Deductibles
Our insurance covers travel throughout the United States (including New York) and Canada. Travel to Mexico is prohibited and will void the insurance coverage we provide. The coverage only applies to transactions booked through the RVnGO platform and extends to the Guest (the primary driver) and any additional drivers listed on our platform for the reservation. The Guest pays the nightly premium that will automatically be added to the reservation amount and it depends on the type of RV you have, ranging from $70 a day for the largest Class A motor homes to $25 a day for trailers. If there is a covered loss, the Guest pays the deductible for the loss, which ranges from $3,500 for Class A motor homes to $1,500 for trailers, and is stated on the Check-In form.
Pre-Existing Damage and Pre-Trip Photos
PRE-EXISTING DAMAGE IS NOT COVERED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, AND HOSTS MUST DOCUMENT THE STATE OF THEIR VEHICLE PRIOR TO IT DEPARTING ON EACH RENTAL TO ESTABLISH A LACK OF PRE-EXISTING DAMAGE. TO DO SO, HOSTS MUST TAKE PHOTOS OF ALL FOUR SIDES OF THE VEHICLES EXTERIOR, ALL BUMPERS, THE UNDERCARRIAGE AND THE ROOF (INCLUDING PHOTOS SHOWING THE OUTER SURFACE OF THE ROOF AND ANY ACCESSORIES PROTRUDING FROM THE ROOF) (THE “PRE-TRIP PHOTOS”).
PRE-TRIP PHOTOS MUST BE TAKEN NO EARLIER THAN 48 HOURS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE, AND ALL PRE-TRIP PHOTOS SHOULD BE UPLOADED TO YOUR RVNGO.COM RESERVATION PAGE BY CLICKING ‘ADD IMAGE’ IN THE ‘CHECK-IN’ SECTION PRIOR TO YOUR VEHICLE LEAVING ON A RENTAL.
WHERE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO UPLOAD PHOTOS TO YOUR RESERVATION PAGE DUE TO TECHNICAL OR CONNECTIVITY ISSUES, YOU MUST STILL TAKE PRE-TRIP PHOTOS NO EARLIER THAN 48 HOURS PRIOR TO A GIVEN RENTAL’S DEPARTURE AND SAVE THE PHOTOGRAPHS FOR LATER REFERENCE. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU RETAIN THE ORIGINAL COPIES, AND NOT SCREENSHOTS, OF ALL PRE-TRIP PHOTOS AS THEY MUST BE PRODUCED FOR LATER REFERENCE IN THE EVENT THAT A CLAIM ARISES DURING A RENTAL. CLAIMS SUBMITTED WITHOUT PRE-TRIP PHOTOS THAT MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA MAY BE EXCLUDED FROM COVERAGE UNDER THE RULES OF YOUR POLICY.
RVNGO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIM UNDER ANY RENTAL’S COVERAGE PERIOD WHERE A HOST CANNOT PRODUCE ORIGINAL, UNTAMPERED PRE-TRIP PHOTOS (ESTABLISHING A LACK OF PRE-EXISTING DAMAGE) TAKEN WITHIN 48 HOURS OF THE RENTAL’S CHECK-IN DATE.
Qualifying your RV
Your RV is automatically qualified for our insurance coverage. We don't have any inspection requirements, but you must keep your RV in mechanically sound order so your Guests have a fabulous trip! IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS MECHANICAL ISSUES (INCL. TIRES AND WHEELS) THAT MAKE IT MECHANICALLY UNSOUND OR INOPERABLE DURING THE FIRST 24 HOURS OF THE TRIP, THE HOST ASSUMES ANY FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY INVOLVED IN RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE HOST AT THE RENTAL'S ORIGIN. If a vehicle is deemed mechanically unsound and/or inoperable during a rental, RVnGO reserves the right to make the vehicle ineligible for further rental on the platform until it is in mechanically sound and working order.
The only requirements we have beyond the submission of pre-trip photos prior to every rental is that your RV is also insured for non-rental periods with whatever RV insurance you think is appropriate and your RV is kept in mechanically sound working order.
Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot cover RVs located in the State of New York. We're working on a solution but for now you will have to arrange your own insurance for you and your Guest. Note that our insurance does cover travel in the State of New York if your RV is based outside of New York.
Qualifying the Driver
As part of the on-boarding and user sign up process, the user is required to upload a picture of a valid Driver's License to RVnGO (valid for driving in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand). RVnGO automatically confirms the validity of the Guest's driver's license. At check-in we require that you confirm the drivers license for the Guest and all additional drivers on the rental (I.e. confirm that the name matches the reservation and the picture has a likeness to the person standing before you). Further, we require you to take a photo with your phone of the Guest and all additional drivers’ Driver's Licenses for our insurance records in the event of a future claim. As with Pre-Trip Photos, we ask that you upload these Drivers License photo(s) to the Check-in Images section of your RVnGO.com reservation page prior to the rental departing. Where you are unable to upload Drivers License photos at the time of check-in, you must save the original copies for future reference in the event of a claim.
In addition, the following driver's are excluded from coverage (as well as using our platform and/or renting your RV through it, per our Terms of Service available here
- Drivers who in past three years (prior to rental date) have been convicted of a driving while intoxicated (DWI) violation or a driving under the influence (DWI) violation,
- Drivers who in the last three years (prior to rental date) have been guilty of more than one of the following:
- Manslaughter or negligent homicide,
- Felony involving a motor vehicle,
- Racing or engaged in a speed contest,
- Hit and run,
- Reckless driving,
- License suspended for points,
- Driving while license suspended,
- Fleeing or eluding arrest,
- Having multiple driver's licenses that have not been uploaded and disclosed to RVnGO, or
- Being at fault for an accident.
DRIVERS WHO DO NOT HOLD A VALID LICENSE ISSUED IN CANADA, THE U.S., WESTERN EUROPE, THE U.K., AUSTRALIA OR NEW ZEALAND MAY NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR COVERAGE AND MAY THUS BE HELD 100% LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE.
DRIVERS WHO DO NOT HOLD A VALID LICENSE FROM THESE PERMITTED GEOGRAPHIES MUST EMAIL SUPPORT@RVNGO.COM
CC’D) REQUESTING PERMISSION TO ACT AS A DRIVER ON ANY RENTAL PRIOR TO ITS DEPARTURE, AND MUST RECEIVE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FROM RVNGO PRIOR TO THE RENTAL TO BE FULLY COVERED OR PERMITTED AS A DRIVER.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS HOST TO GATHER THE DRIVERS LICENSES OF ALL ADDITIONAL DRIVERS ON A RENTAL (I.E. DRIVERS OTHER THAN THE GUEST NAMED ON THE RESERVATION) AND UPLOAD THEM TO THE RVNGO.COM RESERVATION PAGE FOR VERIFICATION BY RVNGO PRIOR TO CHECK-IN. IT IS ALSO YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO AGAIN VERIFY THEIR PHYSICAL LICENSES AS HIGHLIGHTED ABOVE AND TAKE PHOTOS OF SAID LICENSE(S) PRIOR TO ANY RENTAL DEPARTING, SHOULD A CLAIM RESULT AND RVNGO REQUEST THESE RECORDS.
Limitations on Coverage
RVnGO's insurance coverage covers you as the Host and the Guest up to $1 million for liability in the event of an accident, and for damages caused to your RV during the rental up to $200,000 or the cash value (the depreciated replacement value), whichever is lower.
THE FOLLOWING DAMAGES TO THE RECREATIONAL VEHICLE ARE NOT COVERED OR ARE EXCLUDED:
- Pre-existing damage – so make sure you document the state of your vehicle’s exterior prior to every rental by taking thorough photographs of all four sides of the vehicle, all bumpers, its undercarriage and the roof (including photos showing the outer surface of the roof and any fixtures protruding from the roof such as an air conditioner) prior to departure. WHEN TAKING PRE-TRIP PHOTOS, HOSTS MUST WRITE THE RENTALS RESERVATION NUMBER AND THE DATA THE PHOTOS ARE BEING TAKEN ON A PIECE OF PAPER IN LARGE, LEGIBLE LETTERS AND AFFIX THIS PAPER TO THE RV BODY SO THAT IT IS VISIBLE IN ALL PRE-TRIP PHOTOS (SEE 'PRE-TRIP PHOTO GUIDELINES BELOW'). Photographs can be uploaded to the ‘Check-In Images’ section of your RVnGO.com Reservation page at the time of check-in, or in any event no earlier than 48 hours prior to check-in. Where you are unable to upload photos at the time of check-in due to network connectivity or technical issues, you must save those photos for future reference in the event you elect to submit a claim for damages at the conclusion of your rental. For more information on How to Check In, including photos of any pre-existing damage, please see here. VALID PRE-TRIP PHOTOS ARE NECESSARY TO ELIMINATE ANY DAMAGES YOU MAY ATTEMPT TO CLAIM AS PRE-EXISTING, AND RVNGO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIM UNDER ANY RENTAL’S COVERAGE PERIOD WHERE A HOST CANNOT PRODUCE VALID PRE-TRIP PHOTOS ESTABLISHING A LACK OF PRE-EXISTING DAMAGE - see 'Pre-trip Photo Guidelines' below for more details.
- Normal Wear and Tear, freezing, mechanical or electrical breakdown,
- Any water or mold damage,
- Any interior damages not caused by a covered accident (i.e. one occurring to the vehicles exterior) or an insurable risk like fire,
- Flat Tires unless they are damaged in a covered accident or are stolen,
- Chipped or cracked Windshields, unless they are damaged in a covered accident,
- Wearing apparel, personal effects or other personal property carried in the RV,
- Damage from nuclear radiation or contamination,
- Any cleaning costs before or after a rental unless these costs arise from an insured peril (accident, theft fire for instance),
- Any downtime, loss of use or any other business related loss or expense,
- Backdated coverage - RVnGO reserves the right to deem any policy taken out after a rental has already departed as void, as this may be deemed fraudulent action by the Host. In any case, policies taken out after a trip has already begun render any pre-trip photos invalid due to the gap between trip and coverage initiation.
- Intentional damage – any intentional damage or vandalism caused to a rental vehicle is excluded from coverage, and the Guest is 100% liable for all costs associated. While RVnGO will assist you in recovering the cost of damage incurred intentionally, it is not the Company’s responsibility to compensate you for such damage then seek recovery from the liable Guest.
- Reckless use – any time a driver backs up a vehicle, parks a vehicle, drives or pulls into, through under or out of structures with overhead awnings or signs, gas stations, camping spots or other areas with overhanging trees or branches without using a spotter, whose presence is documented by them filming the given action, reckless use is deemed to have occurred. Policy Accommodations can be made for Guests travelling alone without a passenger capable of acting as spotter or where no passengers possess a smartphone or video recording device capable of recording potential reckless use, however to prevent the determination of 'reckless use' such Guests must notify RVnGO via email at email@example.com highlighting either their (i) lack of a passengar capable of acting as a spotter, or (ii) their lack of equipment to record spotter video prior to or on the day their rental departs. Reckless use is also deemed to have occurred when a driver leaves a canopy/awning open during windy weather or drives, at any speed, with the canopy/awning still open. Where reckless use by a driver has occurred, RVnGO will increase the Guest/driver’s deductible to $20,000 and may in certain cases hold the Guest/driver 100% liable for damages incurred. For more information on what counts as ‘Reckless Use’, please see the Reckless Use section of the RVnGO Insurance Terms for Guests here.
- NOTE: Where reckless use has or is suspected to have occurred, it may be necessary to extend the claim processing timeline and you as Host acknowledge and accept this extension.
- Other limitations may apply, see the Policy for a definitive list.
Pre-trip Photo Guidelines
To be considered valid pre-trip photos capable of supporting a claim for damages, photos must meet the following guidelines:
1. Photos must be taken on or before the check-in date (i.e. date your rental departs and coverage begins), and in any event cannot be older than 48 hours before the check-in date.
2. All pre-trip photos provided to RVnGO by you must be original, unmodified photos and cannot be screenshots.
3. Hosts must write down on a piece of paper the following information, written in large, legible letters and tape or otherwise affix the sheet to the RV's exterior in each photograph: (i) the trips RVnGO Reservation Number, and (ii) the current date (i.e. the date the photo was taken) (your "Reservation Note").
Below are some steps to prepare a valid Reservation Note and properly photograph your unit using it. Assume the host in this example has a reservation with ID 17800 Departing on June 1st, 2022 and is taking photos at check in on the same day:
- A Host preparing pre-trip photos for an upcoming rental can find the Reservation Numbers of all their upcoming rentals by going to the Reservation dashboard, under the Host tab at the top banner of the site, as below:
- Reservation IDs can be found in the left most column of the Reservations dashboard, or at the top of an upcoming trips individual reservation page, as below:
- Hosts must then write this 5 digit Reservation ID on a piece of paper in large, legible letters, along with the date the photograph is being taken, as below (larger paper such as A4 is recommended to ensure readability)
- Hosts must then tape or otherwise affix this Reservation Note to the exterior of their RV so that it is visible and readable in all pre-trip photographs. For example, acceptable placement of the Reservation Note on your RV would be where the pink squares in the below images appear:
TO BE VALID, ALL PRE-TRIP PHOTOS MUST CONTAIN A RESERVATION NOTE WHICH IS READABLE IN THE END PHOTOGRAPH, AND ANY PRE-TRIP PHOTOS WHOSE RESERVATION NOTE CONTAINS (I) A RESERVATION ID # OTHER THAN THE ONE ON YOUR RVNGO RESERVATION PAGE, OR (II) A DATE WHICH IS MORE THAN 48 HOURS BEFORE THE DAY YOUR RENTAL BEGINS, ARE DEEMED INVALID AND MAY BE INCAPABLE OF SUPPORTING A CLAIM.
We can't be there when you check-in and check-out your RV, nor are we there when you list your RV, so for our insurance to work, we need you to do these things:
- Accurately describe your RV, with accurate pictures and correct VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Coverage will only extend to the Vehicle whose VIN is provided in the RVnGO.com listing which has been rented for a given reservation.
- Make every Guest aware of the total height of their rental vehicle, including both the distance from the road to the roof, as well as the height of any peripheral accessories that may protrude beyond the roof (such as air conditioning units).
- Remind your Guest at Check-In of your expectations for use, cleaning and maintenance of the unit and whether these expectations will impact your attempt to withhold their Security Deposit, if applicable.
- Take pre-trip photos of all four sides of the vehicle’s exterior, all bumpers, the undercarriage and the roof (including photos showing the outer surface of the roof and any fixtures protruding from the roof such as an air conditioner) prior to the departure of EVERY rental.
- PHOTOS MUST BE TAKEN NO EARLIER THAN 48 HOURS PRIOR TO CHECK-IN / THE RENTAL’S DEPARTURE, MUST BE ORIGINAL, UNTAMPERED PHOTOS AND CANNOT BE SCREENSHOTS, AND MUST CONTAIN A LEGIBLE, VALID RESERVATION NOTE PER THE GUIDELINES ABOVE.
- Whenever possible, pre-trip photos should be uploaded to the ‘Check-in Images’ section of your RVnGO.com Reservation page at the time of Check-in. Where you are unable to upload photos due to network connectivity or technical issues you must save those photos for future reference in the event a claim for damages to your vehicles exterior is made.
- RVNGO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIM UNDER ANY RENTAL’S COVERAGE PERIOD WHERE A HOST CANNOT PRODUCE VALID PRE-TRIP PHOTOS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE 'PRE-TRIP PHOTO GUIDELINES' ABOVE.
- Not act fraudulently,
- On check-in, check the driver's license of the Guest (and any additional drivers) and list any pre-existing damage on the check-in form [more information on how to complete the Check-in form here],
- On check-in you go through the check-in process online, INSURANCE WILL ONLY ATTACH AND BE IN EFFECT ONCE THE VEHICLE IS CHECKED IN AND REQUIRED FIELDS ARE COMPLETED,
- On check-out list and document (upload photos to your RVnGO.com Reservation page) of any new damage caused during the rental (other than wear and tear and breakdown),
- IF YOU HAVE A CLAIM, MAKE THAT CLAIM PROMPTLY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTION AND FORMS ON THE CHECK-OUT FORM, AND DO SO WITHIN THREE (3) BUSINESS DAYS OF THE GUEST RETURNING THE VEHICLE.
- CLAIMS SUBMITTED MORE THAN THREE (3) BUSINESS DAYS AFTER THE END OF A RESERVATION MAY NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR COVERAGE AND RVNGO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT ANY PROPERTY DAMAGE CLAIM MADE OUTSIDE OF THIS WINDOW.
- NOTE: When making a claim, please submit an Insurance Claim through your RVnGO.com Reservation page by clicking the ‘File Insurance Claim’ button in the Insurance Section.
- You allow us to inspect any loss or damage and you otherwise cooperate with our adjusters,
- You protect the salvage value or otherwise mitigate damage while we process a claim.
- If we pay out a claim to you, you assign your interest in the claim and subrogate to RVnGO and our agents so that we may pursue indemnification.
These guidelines are subject to the insurance policies which are paramount and if there is any discrepancy with the Policies, the Policies shall govern and be definitive. For more information please contact us at Insurance@rvnGO.com